The first impulse to found the Milevsko museum can be considered the manifesto of the District Association of Young People of the Czechoslovak Provinces (Okresní sdružení dorostu čs. venkova) of 1913. This document, signed by the teacher Josef Gottwald from Božetice, the museum committee coordinator, asked the local citizens to collect old things for the future museum. Indeed some donations for the museum were gathered, but they hat do be deposited temporarily in the building of the District Agricultural Saving bank (Okresní hospodářská záložna), because no other spaces were for disposal so far. During World War I most of the things were lost, it is not known where, only an old plough was left.
From 1913 there also exists an official letter of the District Office in Tábor, addressed to the Municipal Council in Milevsko. The District Office Tábor asks the Municipal Council to receive at least the most important fragment of the old chapel of St. Nicolas in Sepekov and to place them in the prepared new museum. In the document there is a note that this request was taken in account by the Municipal Council on 14th January 1914.
After the question of the prepared museum got quiet again for a long time. From the time 1914 – 1924 there is no news about the fact what happened to the collection. Only from the document of the District Political Administration (Okresní politická správa) in Milevsko, sent on 4th November 1924 to the again recommended the Municipal Council in Milevsko to found a museum. At the beginning of 20s the local museum founding was also enforced by the teacher Štěpán Dvořák, after whose premature death in 1923 allegedly some of the things collected by him were received by the Sepekov’s parish priest P. Egon Maur. We do not know the exact details, but in the case of many collection objects of the Milevsko Museum the parish priest E. Maur is actually mentioned as a donator in the inward movement record book.
From November 1924 to March 1926 all the news of the future museum is again silent. Only at the beginning of 1926 there came to founding the Museum Society, whose statues were adopted by the Regional Political Administration (Zemská politická správa). The foundation meating of the Museum Society was held on 21st January 1927 at the presence of nine future members.
However the origin of the Museum Society was rather formal and after next seven years this association did not perform any activity. Only in 1934 a significant activity revival appeared, when in the Association events Mr. Václav Levý, the local school inspector, and Josef Hofman started to be committed. The large museum collections were arranged by the new administrator, Mr. Ždichynec and on 29th August 1937 the Milevsko’s inhabitants finally lived to see the opening in four ground floor rooms of the local town hall.
But the glory of the new Museum was short-lived. The World war II broke out and already in November 1939 by order of the Protectorate authorities the collection had to be put together from the existing four rooms to two ones, because in the remaining two rooms there started to attend things. This the tours of the collections were made almost impossible and the Museum became more a warehouse. Even the end of the war in May 1945 did not mean any change in this was and only in July 1947 the both rooms were newly arranged and there came to a provisional arrangement of the Museum collections.
A fundamental change had happened only in 1949, when the Museum was moved to the building of the Baroque conventual building in the first courtyard of the local monastery. The Museum Society was dissolved and in 1951 the collection were taken over by the Local National Committee and later by the District National Committee in Milevsko. In 1960 the Museum became again the Municipal Museum. In 70s due to buildings repairs the Museum was closed for several years and after necessary renovation in May 1975 it came to its opening. At that time the Museum Director was Mr. Jiří Frey, who was relived in his position by Věra Englichová in 1991. Since July 2004 is Director Vladimír Šindelář, the existing custodian of the militaria collections.
The Milevsko Museum started gradually to expand and in 2007 in the cellas spaces there was created the exposition of prehistory and oldest history of the Milevsko region. The Museum collection included 25000 pieces and their quality is still increases. To the Collections there appeared, for example, the old prints from the 16th – 18th century, historical clocks, the collection of the period fashion graphic artes of the half of the 19th century, the old weapon of 17th and 18th century and more up-to-date armament of the 19th and 20th century. As well as the archaeological collection extends and the Milevsko Museum also pays a permanent attention to memories to Siamese twins, the Blažková sisters, who were born in this region in 1878. The museum library amounts 7000 titles of technical literature.